Dealing with Frozen Pipes and Ice Damage in Newburgh Homes
Prevention Strategies in Newburgh can Help with Storm Damage
It is the time of year when frozen pipes and ice dams cause problems for homeowners in Newburgh. Winter storms not only bring lots of ice and snow, but the outdoor temperatures also drop. If your home is vulnerable to freezing temperatures, you could experience thousands of dollars in damage from burst water pipes. There can be subsequent damage to the insulation inside walls, the flooring, and the contents.
SERVPRO provides repair and drying services for Newburgh frozen pipes and ice dams. We can help thaw frozen pipes, arrange for plumbing repairs and provide water removal and drying after a water leak caused by thawing water pipes.
When water freezes inside copper or plastic pipes, the ice expands, cracking the water lines. You may notice a joint that has opened or a long thin crack along one of the pipes. Once the ice inside the water pipe melts, water will stream out of the cracked line at full pressure until someone turns off the main water supply.
SERVPRO recommends that homeowners consider winter preparedness steps to help prevent frozen pipes:
- Install pipe insulation on all water pipes, especially those inside walls or near exterior walls
- Open cabinets in bathrooms and kitchens with water pipes on cold days to allow warm air circulation
- Allow water to drip from a faucet to prevent freezing
- Increase the indoor temperature on chilly days
- Maintain the same temperature during the day and night
- Leave the temperature set to no lower than 55 degrees if you are going to be away
- Add insulation to attics, crawl spaces, and basements
- Seal cracks around windows and doors to reduce cold drafts
Our team at SERVPRO can help with water removal services, water damage restoration, and water damage remediation after a water leak caused by cold weather and frozen pipes.
Call SERVPRO of North Orange County and SERVPRO of South Orange County in Newburgh and nearby areas. We can help 24/7. Call (845) 342-3333.