Recent Why SERVPRO Posts
Do I Need Experience to Restore my Newburgh Home After a Fire?
“Like it never even happened.”
Fire and Smoke Restoration has a Steep Learning Curve, and Nothing Beats Practical Experience Working On-site in Newburgh
How do I start fire restoration at my property?
The first step in fire damage restoration for Newburgh residents is to notify your insurance provider. Your insurance company can then dispatch an adjuster to catalog losses for claims review. After contacting your insurance company, you should contact a certified restoration firm to restore damages to your home and contents. Smoke residues can settle into surfaces or fabrics as time passes. Equally, water or foam used in the firefighting procedure can cause problems or lead to further losses. SERVPRO offers twenty-four-hour support to residents because we understand that fire losses are a time-sensitive situation and need a quick response to ensure a full recovery.
What fire hazards exist in residential property?
• Solid combustibles include textiles, papers, woods, and plastics. These can be found throughout a home environment and can be ignited by exposure to naked flames like candles or cigarettes
• Flammable liquids which can include grease in your kitchen, fuels like ethylene or gasoline and alcohols
• Electrical fires. Home environments are full of appliances, wiring and electronic devices that can present a fire risk if they malfunction or become insecure
• Flammable Metallic substances like sodium, lithium or potassium can be rare in a home environment but are highly-flammable requiring special extinguishers
What different types of fire extinguishers are there, and when should I use them?
Fire extinguishers come in different shapes and sizes. The most recognizable extinguisher uses pressurized water to douse flames. These are useful when solid combustible materials like curtains catch fire. The remaining classes of fire extinguisher use dry chemical foam or carbon dioxide, which are crucial in bringing electrical fires under control as well as flammable liquids. Never use water on fires electrical or chemical fires. Other extinguishers use wet chemicals that are effective against grease fires and cooking fires- the most common cause of house fire in Newburgh.
Does the type of fire affect restoration?
Different fuels and types of fire are an influential factor in the restoration approach. Technicians with experience can accurately assess different types of fire damage after the fact. Being able to identify smoke residues is essential to using the correct methods to restore a property. Cooking fires that involve animal fats, for example, can result in stubborn residues which respond poorly to water and can spread around easily during cleaning. We use oil-based solvents to dissolve greasy soot deposits before rinsing both solvent and soiling to remove them effectively.
What can I do to prevent fires in my home?
• Never leave a stove unattended while cooking
• Perform regular maintenance checks of appliances in the home. Also, be vigilant against 'daisy-chaining' equipment using extension cords
• Perform yearly maintenance checks on the wiring in your home and especially before the winter months when you are using more electricity
• Keep naked flames away from solid combustible materials like curtains, paper, artwork or woods
• Regularly check your furnace to avoid future puff-backs
How do I get rid of odors after a house-fire?
Odor control is essential to returning a home to its preloss condition. The ruling principle of odor control is to disperse deodorants using a similar method to those that caused the odor. In a fire, odors from combusting materials travel upward into cooler air pockets. As they travel, they deposit onto surfaces or enter small crevices in the home like light-fittings. Misters vaporize deodorants, releasing the vapor into the home. Usually, we use water-based solvents that take less time to clear from the home environment but still travel into tough to reach areas of the home. SERVPRO technicians can place venting box fans in the property to ensure that deodorants are thoroughly ventilated out of the property. We exchange indoor air up to fifty times before clearing the area for safe usage.
How can I get help filling in my insurance claim?
Most of your claim is fulfilled by informing your adjuster of losses and their relative values. These items are then given a subtotal and sent for review by your insurance provider. SERVPRO understands that it can be tiresome to relay thousands of items to an adjuster, which is why we offer to help customers with their claims. During service, our crew chiefs document work carried out in a digital ledger. When the restoration journey is complete, we can pass this document onto your insurance provider as part of our stress-free claim initiative. We always finish the restoration by conducting a walk-through where we explain all aspects of restoration and outcomes with you.
For experienced restoration assistance, contact SERVPRO of North Orange County at (845) 342-3333.
How Do I Detect Mold?
SERVPRO can mitigate your mold intrusion in your home. Call the professionals in your local Newburgh area.
Mold Detection in Your Newburgh Home is a Job for a Professional Mold Remediation Company
Homeowners can spot mold in their Newburgh homes either by sight or because they perceive an odd smell. As valuable as this alert is, a professional team can make a reliable assessment of how widespread mold is in your home. Calling a reputable team and taking quick action is essential in protecting your health.
Mold damage in Newburgh is not uncommon, and SERPVRO is at your service to detect and remediate it. For further protection, you should reach out to us as soon as standing water becomes an issue, as mold spores proliferate in a high humidity environment. Even if you are unsure of the presence of mold, give yourself some peace of mind by having our professional crew take a look.
I have mold, now what?
Detection is an important step, but removal is not enough. Our SERVPRO technicians know that a complete job entails removing and killing fungi and disinfecting to prevent a recurrence. As we approach the mold removal part of the process, you may see our technicians perform some of the following-
- Establish containment barriers by using plastic sheeting
- Seal your air vents to avoid further dissemination of mold
- Remove mold from nonporous surfaces with a HEPA vacuum
SERVPRO of North Orange County protects you in your time of need. Call us at (845) 342-3333 and let us leave your home, "Like it never even happened."
When Leaking Dishwashers Cause Water Loss Events in Newburgh
Leaking appliances cause headaches for homeowners. Inspect your dishwasher often and know that SERVPRO can handle your restoration needs.
Speed Saves the Day When Newburgh Home Needs Water Removal
Most homeowners never think about their dishwashers, until it is spewing gallons of water on the kitchen floor. Then, it may seem overwhelming as to what to do first.
After turning off the water, one of the smartest actions a homeowner can do is to contact SERVPRO for water removal in their Newburgh home. The emergency response teams are on standby 24-hours daily, so there is never a wait to begin recovery from loss.
Acting swiftly after a water loss in the home is crucial. That is why SERVPRO team members are available 24/7 - even on holidays - and arrive within an hour of the initial call. The techs bring all the tools and equipment required in their green service vans to restore the home to its pre-damage condition.
Careful Scoping of the Property
SERVPRO techs use their moisture detection equipment to carefully map the path of where the water from the dishwasher migrated. Because they arrived quickly, in this case, no seepage occurred into the subfloor, as confirmed through the equipment.
Water Removal Tools and Techniques
In a water loss from a supply line in a kitchen, it is common to find water under cabinets and have an area of the wall that requires drying behind the dishwasher. The techs remove the toe kicks under the cabinet and pull out the dishwasher to ensure that they extract as much water as possible before drying.
Fast Drying Limits Loss
Since the cleanup efforts began quickly, loss to the property was minimal. The techs used air movers to dry both the flooring as well as specially directed airflow at the wall where the supply line broke. Once the technicians completed the drying phase, they wiped down the surfaces and got the space ready for repairs by the plumber.
SERVPRO of North Orange County at (845) 342-3333 arrives fast for water removal needs. Our certified technicians have both the experience and equipment to make any size water loss, "Like it never even happened."
More about Newburgh.
Middletown Homes, Water Extraction, and Mitigation--The SERVPRO Way!
SERVPRO HQ and a Service Vehicle--Professional Grade Cleanup and Restoration Services for Middletown--24/7
Why Sump Pumps Start Water Loss Recovery in Middletown Homes
Mitigation is one of the essential elements of the recovery of your Middletown home after a water loss incident. Despite how widespread and destructive migrating water can become, the appropriate response by our SERVPRO technicians can ensure that less property damage ultimately occurs. The primary purpose of mitigation is to reduce the costs and losses to homes and businesses right after a disaster strikes.
When our professionals first begin to assess and address the water damage to Middletown homes, extraction can often be the necessary starting point. Standing water can threaten the structural integrity of exposed materials, and it can also become an added challenge to restore when it has absorbed into installed elements like wallboard, wood framing, and flooring.
With more than thirty years of experience and training, our water restoration technicians (WRT) accredited through the Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) can begin mitigation with direct, confident actions. Extraction can reduce surface water throughout the damaged area, and when this threat is more than two inches in depth, submersible pumps are the ideal solution to choose. There are many reasons why electric sump pumps can be among the first machines deployed at a water loss incident.
• Electric pumps are versatile choices because of their lighter weight
• These tools provide continuous, quiet extraction
• Electric submersible pumps can have long discharge lines, allowing them to be more effective in larger homes
• These pumps can run off of portable generators when electricity service has gotten severed to the property
• Can reduce surface water concerns down to two inches in depth or less
• Submersible pumps empty to drainage points instead of filing a tank that needs to get emptied
Extraction is among the first steps that our SERVPRO of North Orange County professionals must take when we respond to water loss incidents. With pooling water concerns, we have an array of powerful water removal and drying tools to make losses “Like it never even happened.” Give us a call today at (845) 342-3333.
Am I Covered?
Insurance is extremely important when owning a home and/or building.
SERVPRO of Orange, Sullivan & S. Ulster Counties get a lot of questions about insurance and if a loss is covered. Our staff is fully trained to know how to answer these questions. We are not insurance agents, but we have a lot of experience with several different types of claims over our 30 years in business. Each claim is treated individually. We take our time getting all the information about the loss and determining what the best course of action would be. We walk people through each step of the way.
Now for important tips for your insurance policy:
- Confirm you have an endorsement for sewer backup coverage. Sewer backups cause more damage than a regular water damage. As a restoration company, we also have to protect our employees with personal protective equipment, which includes additionals charges as well.
- Confirm you have extra coverage for mold. Especially in New York State, there are stringent laws about mold remediation and have to be followed closely.
- If you own an older home or building, make sure you have code upgrade insurance god forbid something happens that you need to upgrade your entire electrical system or plumbing system. Both systems can become extremely costly, so for a little bit extra a month in insurance, it is worth it.
- Additional Living Expense (ALE) is what is used if you have to move out of your house for a while to get the home rebuilt after any type of damage. ALE is used for hotels, food, or even a long term rental home. As you can imagine, this can become very pricy as well.
- If you are renting, have renters insurance, especially if you are in a multi-unit facility. You may never believe you will have a loss, but what if your neighbor falls asleep with a pan on the stove and it catches fire. Your entire apartment's contents may be non-salvageable. Your renter's insurance is what pays you back for your contents.
- When going to get renters insurance, be realistic on the price range of all of your personal belongings. Remember all the small items, as well. One bottle of spice is $3, but if you have 100 of them, that is $300. The money accumulates quickly, so do not skimp on the insurance.
- There are things in life you can get for cheap, insurance should not be one of them. Take your time, find the best agent, and get the right coverage.
SERVPRO is here to help with any questions that may arise.
Pet's Alive - Middletown, NY
Donations we were able to provide after Hurricane Harvey hit Texas.
SERVPRO is a massive supporter of Pet's Alive in Middletown New York. They are a non-profit animal shelter. SERVPRO can provide them with supplies to keep the animals safe and happy in their time of need. We donate personal protective suits for when kittens come in with fleas, and the employees need to be protected. We also give food, gloves, and flea/tick collars for the animals.
Pet's Alive also takes in dogs when hurricanes hit other shelters throughout the country. Pet's Alive took in 12 dogs from Houston area in Texas and was able to give them homes here. SERVPRO of Orange County put on a fundraiser to help raise money and supplies for those dogs from the hurricane relief.
SERVPRO loves to give back and support local charities across Orange County and beyond. It is a massive aspect of our local service we feel is extremely important as a local business to be a part of. Each day, as long as one animal is getting taken care of, we are happy to help. Pet's Alive is a fantastic organization to be a part of! Check out their website here.
Professional business with trained staff
We take care of your home like our own. We hold it in our hands and walk our customers through the whole process.
When you have a disaster in your home the last thing you want to think about is worrying about who is coming into the house. SERVPRO in Middletown, NY is trained professionals who handle homes like their own. We understand and are compassionate about the difficult scenario our clients are going through. We want to ensure that a homeowner feels comfortable about the situation. We are invading their comfort zone. We are touching all the objects that they own if we need to clean in detail after a fire or puffback. When we walk into a water damage, we assess what can be saved versus what needs to be disposed of. We take our time to go through the items with our customers and make sure we keep as much as possible.
Orange County Business goes Solar
This photo is from the progress of the expansion showing the solar panels on the roof.
SERVPRO of North Orange County in New York installed solar panels on our existing roof to cover both current and future expansion needs. It is essential for SERVPRO to have a green footprint for our area. Solar was one of the many ways we could do so. With our recent expansion, it was needed to be able to prepare for the future. The solar panels have helped us be for effecting and aware of our usage of power. All lights also were changed to LED to make sure we are even more economically friendly moving forward. We were excited to move forward into the future with these advancements. It only makes sense for SERVPRO to go "Green," isn't it the best color after all?